84% of consumers value recommendations from friends and family over any other type of advertising. This emphasizes one of the most powerful truths in marketing: A business’s biggest marketing asset is their existing customer base.
There are many different ways to help your clients harness their existing customers to fuel growth, but few are as powerful as word of mouth marketing.
Why is Word of Mouth Marketing so effective?
People trust what others have to say about a business more than what a business says about itself.
- 90% of consumers identify word of mouth as a key influencer in their purchasing decisions.
- Beyond referrals, 88% of people trust online reviews written by other consumers as much as they trust recommendations from personal contacts.
- 61% of consumers have recommended a local business to someone they know by word of mouth.
How to build a winning word of mouth campaign for your clients
Audit the customer experience
Before executing campaigns that aim to get your client’s audience talking, you’ll need to ensure that their customers are happy.
Trying to get people to refer their friends and family to your client’s business is almost impossible if they’ve had a poor experience.
Considering that 94% of consumers would refuse to work with a business if it has too many negative reviews, it’s important to understand your client’s customer sentiment. Gaining this insight will require leveraging technology that can identify customer sentiment at scale.
Make it easy for your clients to get reviews
With more consumers turning to online channels to discover and choose brands, automated review requests helps businesses to sustainably improve their online reputation.
Given this, it’s no surprise that a whopping 92% of businesses use automation to send review requests. Furthermore, the average open rate for review request emails in 2020 was a staggering 69%. This makes automated review requests a powerful tool for building an effective word-of-mouth marketing strategy for your clients.
Make the process easy for customers
Many customers are happy to write a review or refer a business but don’t want to spend too much time trying to navigate a complicated process.
Empowering your clients with technology that enables them to send direct requests to their customers to leave a review, or refer their business through text and email, will significantly help to boost conversions. Through direct requests, a customer simply has to click a button to spread the word. The simpler the process, the more likely they are to follow through.
Help your clients create an official referral program
A referral program can be a powerful resource for generating highly qualified leads if done the right way.
- Identify your referral incentives – Boost conversions by offering rewards to both the referrer and referred customer.
- Proactively request referrals – When prompted, customers are much more likely to refer your business to a friend or family member. We’ve learned that while automation is better than asking for a referral in mass, the best conversion for getting people to refer their friends is at the end of a successful 1:1 interaction.
- Monitor your program’s effectiveness – Keep track of every participant of your customer referral program.
Efficient deployment, tracking, and monitoring progress are key to the success of any referral program. Providing your clients with referral marketing software is the most effective way to help them establish a high-performing referral program. Your clients should be able to leverage:
- Automation – Your clients should be able to automate referral requests. This way, they can get new leads without needing to manually request each customer to give a referral.
- Integration – Your clients should be able to have customers give referrals through multiple platforms like email, SMS text, and social media.
- Reporting – Your clients should be able to monitor and follow referral engagement along every step of the process.
Helping your clients roll out a word of mouth marketing strategy requires generating reviews and referrals across multiple channels. Experience Marketing software equips your clients with an all-in-one platform to seamlessly tie all of the pieces together into a centralized solution.